Accomplishing projects that decrease energy costs and promote sustainability is the priority of the City Sustainability Coordinator. Management plans for completed projects and an update on projects that are in progress can be found below.

Completed Projects

Projects In-Progress

  • Sustainability Board
    • The City of Red Lodge is seeking five (5) people to volunteer and serve on the Red Lodge Sustainability Board. The Board will work and cooperate with the Mayor, City Council, City staff, and local organizations to implement the strategies of the Energy Conservation Plan. The Board may also be asked to participate in public outreach meetings.¬†Letters of interest should include your full name, address, telephone number, email address and a brief statement as to why you are interested in serving on the Red Lodge Sustainability Board and mailed to: The City of Red Lodge, City Sustainability Coordinator, P.O. Box 9, Red Lodge, MT 59068. You may apply via email at the following address: energycorps@cityofredlodge.com. Letters must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, August 5, 2019, with appointments made by the Mayor and approved by the City Council at the August 13, 2019 City Council meeting.

      Persons interested in this appointment to the Sustainability Board must be willing to attend up to 15 public meetings per calendar year. For additional information, please contact Kathryn Eklund, City Sustainability Coordinator, (406) 446-1606.

      Publish 7/15/2019 

  • Solarize 59068
    • Solarize 59068 is a community campaign that secures fair pricing and helps people in zipcode 59068 install solar. Solarize¬† 59068 connects residents and businesses with a vetted solar installer and provides special group pricing on solar installs from April 3 to August 23, 2019.
    • To learn more and sign up for your free site assessment, go to www.solarizeredlodge.com
  • Pride Park Water Bottle Filling Station
    • The City, the Garden Club, and recipients of the Rotary Youth Leadership Award are working together to install a water bottle filling station in Pride Park. The filling station would allow tourists and locals to fill personal water bottles instead of purchasing bottled water, which would reduce Red Lodge’s reliance on single-use plastics.
  • Solar Panel Installation at the Red Lodge Carnegie Library
    • The Red Lodge Carnegie Library has partnered with the City Sustainability Coordinator to install a solar photovoltaic system on the Library rooftop. The project will cost $28,000, but the City was recently awarded a grant from NorthWestern Energy Efficiency Plus (E+) Renewable Energy Program. This program is established with Universal System Benefits Program funds collected from all NorthWestern electric customers in the State of Montana, and will cover 90% of the project costs. The Library has completed its fundraising campaign to cover the remaining 10% of project costs.
    • The Mayor’s letter of support for this initiative can found here.
  • Expanded LED Streetlight Retrofit
    • The City and NorthWestern Energy are currently discussing how to retrofit the 24 decorative streetlights on Broadway. If the retrofit takes place, our streetlight energy bills will decrease by $2,000 per year.