The City of Red Lodge is committed to becoming a solar friendly community. This is visible in the City’s Energy Conservation Plan and through our joining of the Mayors for Solar Energy pact.
The City is also spearheading a community campaign called Solarize 59068 which secures fair pricing and helps people in zip code 59068 install solar. Solarize 59068 connects residents and businesses with a vetted solar installer and provides special group pricing on solar installs from April 3 to August 23, 2019.
If you are interested in participating in this program and signing up for a FREE site assessment, visit www.solarizeredlodge.com.
In addition, Red Lodge has committed to becoming a SolSmart designated community. In partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy, our staff members are working to improve the solar market in Red Lodge. They are working to make it faster, easier, and more affordable for our residents and businesses to install solar energy systems, while also increasing the efficiency of local permitting as it relates to solar development.
In an effort to demystify the process of going solar in Red Lodge, we have put together resource for our community members that walk them through the process.
- Solar Energy Checklist
- This document walks you through the permits, fees, and inspection requirements you will need for your installation. It pertains to commercial and residential solar installations.
- Solar Energy Fees
- There are certain permitting fees associated with solar installations that must be paid to the City and to the State of Montana. This document outlines those fees in detail.
- Find an Installer
- There are a number of solar installation businesses that operate in Montana. You can find information on all of them at the MREA Installer Directory webpage here.
- Solar Zoning Letter of Determination
- This document explains that solar is allowed as an accessory use by right in all major zones within the City of Red Lodge.