The City of Red Lodge is committed to becoming a solar friendly community. This is visible in the City’s Energy Conservation Plan and through our joining of the Mayors for Solar Energy pact.
The City also led a community campaign called Solarize 59068 which secured fair pricing and helped people in zip code 59068 install solar. Solarize 59068 connected residents and businesses with a vetted solar installer and provided special group pricing on solar installs from April 3 to August 23, 2019. Please visit www.solarizeredlodge.com for details. For full campaign details:
- Check out our At a Glance Summary of how the campaign went by the numbers
- Read the full Solarize 59068 Post Project Report
In addition, Red Lodge has received a silver designation from SolSmart. Mayor Larson’s letter of commitment describes in detail the City’s motivation and strategy to achieve this designation. In partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy, our staff members have worked to improve the solar market in Red Lodge by making it faster, easier, and more affordable for our residents and businesses to install solar energy systems. This has involved increasing the efficiency of local permitting as it relates to solar development.
In an effort to demystify the process of going solar in Red Lodge, we have put together resources for our community members that walk them through the process.
- Solar Energy Checklist
- This document walks you through the permits, fees, and inspection requirements you will need for your installation. It pertains to commercial and residential solar installations.
- Solar Energy Fees
- There are certain permitting fees associated with solar installations that must be paid to the City and to the State of Montana. This document outlines those fees in detail.
- Find an Installer
- There are a number of solar installation businesses that operate in Montana. You can find information on all of them at the MREA Installer Directory webpage.
- Solar Zoning Letter of Determination
- This document explains that solar is allowed as an accessory use by right in all major zones within the City of Red Lodge.