City Judge/Clerk

The City of Red Lodge is seeking a part time City Judge/Clerk.

Duties include:

– Hear and determine civil and criminal cases initiated in the City of Red Lodge.

– Conducts judicial responsibilities professionally and in compliance with all applicable policies, rules, and with due regard to the rights and interests of all parties.

– Presides over Court cases, including issuing summons, subpoenas, warrants, search warrants, & all other    lawful orders

– Write clear, concise, decisions and orders

– Follow oral and written arguments and identify and apply appropriate law to facts

– Maintain a list of prospective jurors

– Manages the court’s trust account and accounts for all monies received by the court, including fines, costs, fees, surcharges, and restitution

Individuals shall have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:

– Be a Carbon County Resident

– Meet Qualifications listed in §3-11-202 M.C.A

– Complete education and training and obtain Certificate of Completion from Commission on Courts of Limited Jurisdiction

– Electronic filing experience required

Applications are available online  or can be picked up at City Hall, 1 S. Platt Ave.

Submit a completed city application to City of Red Lodge,

P.O. Box 9, Red Lodge, MT 59068. This position will remain open until filled with preference given to applications received by 5:00 p.m. Friday, October 5, 2018.

The City of Red Lodge is an Equal Opportunity Employer.



Applications & Forms

Employment Application

Click Here for the Police Employment Application for the City of Red Lodge

Click Here for the Employment Application for the City of Red Lodge

Use of City Owned Land
Click Here for the Use of City Owned Land application

Business License


The City of Red Lodge requires all businesses located and/or operating inside the City limits to pay a business registration fee and undergo the applicable inspection requirements to promote the health, safety and welfare of its citizens. Failure to obtain a business registration certificate prior to operating a business in the corporate limits of the City constitutes a violation of Ordinance No. 907. This certificate of registration has been enacted for the purposes of providing an inventory of commercial activities conducted within the City; determining businesses subject to collection and remittance of the resort tax; providing a method of determining compliance with safety regulations imposed on commercial activities within the City; and providing a mechanism whereby owners of commercial activities can be identified and be notified by City officials.


City Business Licenses are due on July 1st and are valid July 1st – June 30th.


All City Businesses – $50; Additional fees: Beer and Wine $100 (in addition to the above $50); All Liquor $200 (in addition to the above $50)

 Business Registration Application 

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Please refer to Ordinance # 907 – City of Red Lodge , Montana , or call City Hall at 406-446-1606. Copies are available to view at City Hall.

Resort Tax


Businesses and vendors operating within the City Limits selling taxable items under Ordinance No. 901, are subject to the collection of resort tax. Every entity, subject to the resort tax, that applies for a City business registration must provide a bond in the amount of five hundred dollars ($500.00) payable to the City to ensure its compliance with the City’s resort tax. The bond shall be issued by a surety company licensed to conduct business within the State of Montana. Alternatively, any entity may post five hundred dollars ($500.00) cash or a five hundred dollar ($500.00) irrevocable letter of credit, payable to the City and issued by an FDIC insured financial institution for the same purpose. The bond, cash or letter of credit must remain effective for one (1) full year after the date of the entity’s initial business registration. The City shall not issue a business registration without the entity’s compliance with this section.


The taxes collected by businesses in any month are to be remitted quarterly and due to the City on or before the TWENTIETH (20th) day of the following months: January, April, July, and October, unless such day falls on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, then on the next business day.

Quarter 1 (Jan, Feb, March) – Due April 20th

Quarter 2 (April, May, June) – Due July 20th

Quarter 3 (July, Aug., Sept.) – Due October 20th

Quarter 4 (Oct., Nov., Dec.) – Due January 20th

Tax Rate:

3% of Gross Taxable Sales


Click Here for the Resort Tax Transmittal Form for the City of Red Lodge

Red Lodge TBID

Click Here for the Red Lodge Tourism Business Improvement District Return Form

Request for Information (Public Records)
Click Here for the request for public information form for public records per Resolution 3411: A Fee Schedule for Copies and Research of Public Records Pursuant to Montana Code and Establishing Procedures for Requesting Public Records
Building Permit

OVERVIEW: A building permit is generally required for all new construction, remodel work, and demolition in the City of Red Lodge; please contact the City Building Inspector (see contact info below) for more information.

Quoting from the International Building Code (IBC), Section 105.1– Permits required: “Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure; or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the City Building Inspector and obtain a permit.”

All permits must be in compliance with the Red Lodge Municipal Code, the International Building Code (IBC) for non-residential buildings and International Residential Code (IRC) for residential buildings, and all applicable Federal and State requirements.


APPLICATION PROCESS: Applicant fills out the Building Permit application and submits two sets of building plans, including a plot plan to the City Building Inspector (all plans shall be submitted to the City on 11”x17” or 24”x36” sized paper, unless otherwise approved.) The plans shall clearly identify the proposed setback and building height. The City Building Inspector reviews the plans to determine if further documentation such as a recorded Certificate of Survey or Plat, or other forms of engineering / surveying is required; additional fire inspection review is required; and that all design and setback requirements are met. The City Building Inspector issues a permit upon determining the plans are in compliance with all applicable requirements.

Building Setbacks: Whenever a proposed setback is less than 110% of the required setback, the applicant shall submit a drawing stamped by either a professional engineer or surveyor licensed in the State of Montana (prior to the Foundation Wall Inspection) which certifies that the required setbacks are met.

Building Height: Whenever a proposed building height is less than 110% of the required maximum height, the applicant shall submit a drawing stamped by either a professional engineer or surveyor licensed in the State of Montana (prior to the Roof Rafter Inspection) which certifies that the height of the building is at or below the maximum permitted height. FEES: Building Permit Fees are based upon Appendix “L” of the 2009 International Residential Code; as noted in City Ordinance #892Prior to issuance of any Building Permit, all Public Works  Impact Fees must be paid in full.

FEES: Building Permit Fees are based upon Appendix “L” of the 2009 International Residential Code; as noted in City Ordinance #892. Prior to issuance of any Building Permit, all Public Works (Water & Wastewater) Impact Fees must be paid in full (contact the Deputy City Clerk, Janie Michelcic, at 406.446.1606 ext. 121 for more information).

DOWNLOADS/LINKS: Please Call the Building Division at 406.446.0196.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Tim Swansborough-at City Hall 1 S. Platt St, Red Lodge MT 59068. Office 406-446-0196 or Cell 406-425-1581

Building Inspector’s Availability:

Peak Construction Season: April 1st – October 31st

  • Hours in the Office: Monday – Friday 8a.m. – 9a.m. and 11a.m. – Noon
  • Field Inspections: Monday – Friday 9a.m. – 11a.m.

Off-Peak Construction Season: November 1st – March 31st (Subject to Availability and Change)

  • Hours in the Office: Friday 8a.m. – 9a.m. and 11a.m. – Noon Field
  • Inspections: Monday – Friday 9a.m. – 11a.m.

While our goal is excellence in customer service, due to the nature of field inspections, all above noted hours are approximate.

Sign Application


The City of Red Lodge has established regulations regarding the use of signs for outdoor advertising within the city limits. These regulations are intended to preserve free speech while ensuring signs are not overwhelming; signs should not be a distraction or impediment due to brightness, movement, size, or height. To ensure regulations for signs are met, sign permits must be approved for the erection, construction, relocation, installation, or alteration of any outdoor advertising sign, structure, markings, symbol, or other advertising device unless exempted in Section 4.6.30 of the city zoning code.


Find the sign permit below. Download, fill out, and submit sign permit to Community Development Department along with any required fees. To find specific regulations regarding signs in the City of Red Lodge, please refer to Section 4.6: Outdoor Advertising, of the city zoning code.


Temporary Sign Permit: $10

Permanent Sign Permit: $40

Permanent Sign Permit Requiring Design Review: $300


Sign Permit


Please refer to Section 4.6 of the city zoning code.

Short Term Rental Application


A short term rental is defined as the rental of a residential unit for less than 30 consecutive days. Short term rentals are currently allowed in any of the zoning districts of the City. In order to operate a short term rental, the owner is required to register with the City and obtain the appropriate permits from the City, County, and State.



Apply for required county and state permits.
Apply for your Public Accommodations License with the Carbon County Sanitarian.
View the standards to obtain your license on the Public Accommodations Checklist
Contact information for Carbon County Sanitarian:
Josh Juarez

Apply for Lodging Tax ID with Montana Department of Revenue.

Fire Inspection
Schedule a Short Term Rental inspection with the Red Lodge Fire Department.
Contact information for fire inspection:
Tim Ryan

Register with the City of Red Lodge
Obtain a business license for your Short Term Rental with the City of Red Lodge.
Click here for application for city business registration.

Submit documents
Ensure you have paid all required fees and submit documentation indicating all requirements have been met.



Business License Fee: $50

The business license fee is the only fee required by City of Red Lodge. The Carbon County Sanitarian, Montana Department of Revenue, and Red Lodge Fire Department may charge separate fees.


Carbon County Information
Carbon County Sanitarian
Public Accommodations Checklist
Public Accommodation Licensure Regulation
Public Accommodation Rules

Montana Department of Revenue
Red Lodge Fire Department
Red Lodge Business Registration Application


Building Division Fees

Click here for current building fees.

Planning Division Fees

Click here for current planning fees.